Welcome!

Welcome to the blog. All the opinion on this blog is my own or as attributed. Thank you for reading - I hope you enjoy.
www.facebook.com/StephenRichardsonIllogan
@StARichardson

Thursday 21 March 2013

Three years on and Tory & Lib Dem voters seem to have diappeared

When I stood for election for Illogan parish in 2010 I knocked on lots of doors.

There were lots of people saying that they normally vote Conservative or Liberal Democrat. There were a number who would vote for me and the odd one or two that were going to vote for the Labour candidate.

In the end I got elected with over 70% of the vote.

Yesterday I started my doorstep campaign. As there is a long time to go I have worked out a schedule whereby I go to what I believe will be the areas that I will have least support first. Therefore, yesterday I started knocking doors in an area that I was expecting to be hard work for me.

During the next few hours I failed to find anyone that was definitely going to vote Tory or Lib Dem. I managed to get promised support from two households and I found one household that were staunch Labour and had been all their lives (however they were going to consider an vote for MK if no Labour candidate emerged).

Every other person that I spoke to said that they had not made up their minds yet. A few of them definitely ruled out MK but most still included MK in the mix.

The difference from yesterday's experience and that of three years ago is quite amazing. People are absolutely fed up with bickering Westminster parties.

Candidates standing for Mebyon Kernow have an excellent chance of gaining votes from areas we never have before - but we need to get out there and get our message across because you can be sure we're not going to get the media coverage the Westminster parties will.

The next few weeks are going to be interesting and exciting (if you follow local politics). The result is probably the least predictable it has been for decades. Let's make sure that Mebyon Kernow make the impact that our policies and values deserve.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck and I hope there will be a MK candidate in my area (Pentewan) I could never vote Tory, Liberals have had my last vote ever, I'm very disappointed with Labour but would be very happy to vote MK.

    ReplyDelete

It won't be long before your comment is displayed. Thanks for taking the time to comment.